Sunday 24 March 2013

Pandan chiffon cake

Always wanted to try out a chiffon cake but I never did knowing that it requires a tremendous amount of eggs! That's like cholesterol x10000000000000000 omg noooo. Finally decided to try it out when I found the essential ingredients I needed at home!

Instead of artificial flavouring, I harvested fresh pandan leaves from the garden, grind them up and extracted the juice from them. It was hard work for that 1 tablespoon of juice! And it wasn't enough...so next time use pandan paste instead.



Also, my chiffon pan was tooo small for the recipe I tried :( It was basically rising like crazy in my oven! 
Mistake 1: Not using pandan paste
Notice it's more of a yellow colour compared to the green. That's because natural fresh juice from the pandan leaves doesn't give you the pretty green colour you normally see. Partly my fault for having too little pandan juice and too many yolks hence yellow. 

Mistake 2: Big air holes
Notice that the holes in the cake are rather big? That's because air got trapped and didn't release while it was baking. And my cake collapsed at the bottom. That portion was rising above my pan so I guess there wasn't enough support for the cake.

Mistake 3: Cake got stuck in the pan
I think there's something wrong with the pan? Perhaps lost its ability as a non-stick pan(?) Hence I wasn't able to capture the cake as a whole :(

Still, my family liked it :) There's always room for improvement!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment